Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Funky Town

I’m in a bit of a ‘funk’.
Yes, it’s true.
Happy-go-lucky John is not “feelin’ it” these days. (It happens people, it happens.)
The thing that’s totally getting me down is my job.
Here are a few facts.

I may ok money…nothing great, nothing horrible, but it’s fine.
I commute every day from East Bridgewater to Boston, which breaks down to 50 minutes on the commuter rail, followed by another 20 minutes on the subway (taking the Red Line one stop to the Orange Line, then taking that 3 stops to work). I leave the house at 5:55am and get home at 5:35pm
I like the people I work with.
My job isn’t ‘difficult’. In other words, I’m not up at night worrying about how to do what I do and I don’t spend time at work trying to figure out how to do my job.
I couldn’t care less about what I’m doing.
I don’t get excited about coming to work.

I honestly think that the last time I was genuinely excited about going to work was back in 1995. Thirteen years ago. (Wow) Now, that’s not to say that I’ve spent every day for the past 13 years in a state of misery…but to be 100% honest, I haven’t looked forward to going to work in a long time.
Back then I was working as the Assistant Company Manager at the North Shore Music Theatre. Even though I was making NO money and working ALL the time, I went to work every day and was thrilled to be there.

I left that job because I was afraid of the ‘unknown’. I was working as the Assistant, and since my boss wasn’t returning, they wanted me to move up and become the Company Manager. Granted, I was only 23 years old at the time, so I think I was a tad young for the job. But more so, I was terrified of being in charge and didn’t know how to deal with change.

Looking back on it, I think I should have stuck it out and gave it a chance. I mean, here’s a huge, well-known theatre, and the Production Manage at the time, CLEARLY trusted me and thought I could do the job. Should he have pushed me more to take the job? Should he have been more encouraging? Who can say? Looking back on it, and thinking about who I was at that time in my life, I definitely think I made the right decision.

So here I am today, working for yet ANOTHER financial institution and not really caring about what I’m doing, but sticking with it until I figure out what the next step is.
Don’t get me wrong…I’m not saying that I need to have some earth-shattering “I’m going to make a difference in the world!!” type of job. That’s hardly the case.
What I really want is to wake up in the morning and be excited about going to work each day.
I don’t want to give the impression that I’m miserable. Believe me, I know plenty of people who HATE their jobs because they work with awful people, or they’re under a lot of pressure and stress. I’m not one of those people. All I want is a job that makes me happy…and pays me a lot of money. :-)

1 comment:

Jim S. said...

Hang in there, honey! Keep looking!