Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Busy Busy Weekend...

Once again, Jim and I had a busy weekend!

Friday night we went to see [title of show] at SpeakEasy. It was so much fun. As many of you know, the show is a favorite of mine and it was great to see it again. The cast did a great job and the audience loved every minute of it.
The authors of the show (Hunter Bell and Jeff Bowen) are coming to see it the weekend of the 30th, so I'm planning on seeing it again that night as well.
If you're in the Boston area and looking for something fun to do...I think you should all go see it. Click here for more information. :-)

On Saturday, Jim and I did a lot of stuff around the house that 'needed doing'. I did a bunch of laundry while Jim was doing the bills....then we were finally able to go outside and take down all the Christmas lights (don't worry, they were still up, but we weren't turning them on) which was a huge relief. I can't stand having the lights up for a long time, but in our defense, we've had a lot of snow on the ground and it's been freezing out every weekend. Saturday was the first day in a while that we didn't have sub-zero temperatures, so we took advantage.
Saturday night we had a few friends over that we hadn't seen for a long time. It was nice to spend some time with them and catch up on all that's been going on since we last saw them (before Christmas!).

On Sunday, we got up, went to church and then had choir practice immediately following the service! That's right folks; we've joined the church choir. From what I can tell, it's a pretty laid back group and they sound pretty decent, so I'm sure it'll be fun. Jim's one requirement was that we wouldn't have to wear robes, so I think that we'll be exempt from robe wearing. Fine by me.
After church, Jim and I headed home; I had a quick lunch and then headed off to my first rehearsal.
Rehearsal was VERY fun. We sang through the entire opening of the show (they had learned it the other night) and even with a few folks missing, it sounded really good. After singing through it a few times, we staged the entire opening of the show, from the tip-top to the end of the title song. It was very exciting. :-)

After rehearsal, I met up with Jim and a bunch of friends over at K & B's place for a Golden Globes party. It was the first time I'd ever watched the Golden Globes (I know, I know) and I really enjoyed it. B had made up packets for all of us to fill out our predictions and even though I wasn't familiar with a majority of the nominees, I ended up tying for first place. It was a great way to watch an awards show!! After the show was over, I stayed for a bit - but then headed home in the torrential rain. Yuck.

I didn't have to work yesterday and the weather was atrocious (rain, sleeting, and snowing), so I didn't do much throughout the day. When Jim got home from work (yes, he had to work - BOO!) I had dinner and then headed out to rehearsal. Unfortunately, I didn't really get to see him last night, but the good thing is I don't have rehearsal again until next Monday, so it will be nice to have that unexpected time at home.

Now, onto some not-so-great news. I talked to my dad yesterday and it turns out that he needs to have triple bypass surgery.
The good news is, he's got a really good doctor and he's having the surgery in a really good hospital. Of course, the 'mixed' news is that he's in Florida. I say that's 'mixed' news because while he's not close to home (no visiting him) he's in a cardiac hospital that has lots of experience with this type of surgical procedure (lots of old folks in Florida have heart issues) :-)
According to what he said yesterday, he didn't have a heart attack and his heart hasn't been damaged at all, which is great news. His doctor told him that he'll be fine and will be back working with the Red Sox on March 1st.
Of course, I'm going to be a nervous wreck about the whole thing since it's such a major surgery, but my dad is hardly a frail old man, so I'm confidant that he'll be OK. My sister PJ (the nurse) is flying down Wednesday and is staying for four days or so, so that makes me feel better as well.

Well, that's the exciting news in my life.

MAPP class number 6 tonight...

Have a great day!!



RG said...

I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts for your Old Man's upcoming surgery.

Kyle said...

Sorry to hear the bad news about your dad John. It sounds like he is in a good position though. I'll be keeping him in my thoughts.

Larry Ohio said...

I'm sure your Dad will do well and be in tip top shape in no time flat.
Have fun with your MAPP class :-)

Ur-spo said...

Triple bypass surgeries go with no incident these days they are rather "ho-hum" so I know your father will do fine.

On Saturday, Jim and I did a lot of stuff around the house that 'needed doing'. I did a bunch of laundry while Jim was doing the bills.
- It is this depraved gay lifestyle that threatens the American way of life!