Thursday, May 28, 2009

"Talk to the Ass!"

If you’ve been reading my blog for the past week or so, you’re well aware of the fact that I’ve been seeing some GREAT Boston theater lately.

Last night my ‘seeing excellent theatre’ streak continued with SpeakEasy Stage Company’s production of ‘Jerry Springer The Opera’.

I really think this is a production worth seeing. If you were on the fence whether or not to see this, I say SEE IT!!!
Although this production was originally scheduled to end this Sunday (May 30th), they just announced that they’re extending until Sunday June 7th!!!
And (as if that wasn’t enough) it’s with the entire cast intact.
BONUS!!!
Often times when a show like this announces an extension, it’s with the caveat that there are a few cast members that can’t stay for the extension. However, this time around the ENTIRE cast is able to do the extension.
Most excellent.

The SpeakEasy production is full of talented folks not only on the stage, but behind the scenes as well. The set is pretty much an exact replica of the Jerry Springer TV studio, which we all know and love. Add to that an amazingly talented group of actors, and you have an excellent night of theatre.
That’s assuming that a few (hundred) four letter words aren’t going to offend you….because there are plenty.
I can’t take the time to mention everyone I loved, but here are a few standouts:

Timothy John Smith as Warm-up Man/Satan: great part for him, especially in Act 2…he looks and sounds great!
Michael Fennimore as Jerry Springer: he’s got all the ‘Springer-isms’ down pat and does a great job keeping things flowing along
Ariana Valdes as Peaches/Baby Jane: outstanding voice and absolutely hysterical in both roles
Joelle Lurie as Shawntel/Eve: she was one of my absolute favorites….excellent voice and SO funny. Her ‘I Just Want To Dance’ was one of my favorite moments, and her delivery of “Talk to the Ass” had us in hysterics.
Kerry A. Dowling as Andrea & Brian Richard Robinson as Montel: they were a riot and sounded great together….especially in their ‘chase’ scene…hysterical.
Jared Trolio as Tremont: totally took charge of the stage and sounded great on his song
The ensemble was also a HUGE part of the success of the show. How they do what they do every night is beyond me. They all created such interesting and entertaining characters, without ever causing a distraction….it was so much fun watching them (and the poor things never get to leave the stage unless it’s to change).
Here’s the rest of the cast and production team listed…if you’re curious.

Granted, I admit that I may be slightly biased as I’m a big supporter of SpeakEasy and have been for many years….and I’ve performed in several shows with the company (Eight shows, as a matter of fact….yes, I’m tooting my own horn – deal with it) so I’ve had the pleasure of working with a few people I’ve mentioned above, as well as the production staff.
But, even so – that doesn’t mean that I can’t be objective!!!
Seriously…if I didn’t like it, I would have just written a blog post about the crappy weather we’re having today. :-)

If you’re a fan of theatre, opera, musicals, white trash, Jerry Springer, or any of these things – get your tickets now!!!
You’ll have a blast.

xoxo

1 comment:

Stephen R. said...

I love SpeakEasy Stage Company!!! During a trip to Boston YEARS ago, I saw their production of A NEW BRAIN and loved it. Really loved it. They are wonderful.