Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Taxes Schmaxes

This “filing your taxes thing” is really irritating.
It’s not that I find it difficult to do, but it serves as a yearly reminder that my civil rights are being violated.

Dramatic enough for you?!!? :-)

Seriously though….I’m hardly a political person, and I rarely complain about the ‘stuff’ that goes on in the government, but (as I mentioned on Big Rob’s blog) it gets me really angry that the federal government doesn’t recognize my marriage.
I was bitching to one of my best friends (as I do every year at ‘tax time’) and she said:

“I know we have this discussion every year, and every year I say the same thing, but it’s just not fair. Are you sure it’s legal?!?!”

Yes, it’s legal – and no it’s not fair…..BUT until the federal government makes some major changes, we have to suck it up and deal with it.

The good news is, that most of it is done. I’ve filed my federal return, Jim finished his federal return and can submit it whenever he wants, and then within the next day or two I can do our state taxes. Yes, that’s right. If we want to file our taxes using Turbo Tax, we have to make three completely separate submissions, and pay for each one.
IRRITATING!!!

Enough of that negativity…..I’m going to get back to work. Maybe I’ll go grab a cup of coffee and cheer myself up!

No comments: