Wednesday, October 8, 2008

$5.00 = Jeans on a Wednesday

It's Wednesday and I'm wearing jeans.
That's because today is the day that our company is 'celebrating' Lee Denim Day. For those of you who don't know what the hell I'm talking about, here's a brief history:


Lee National Denim Day® History
Since its inception in 1996, Lee National Denim Day has adhered to a simple philosophy: one day, one cause, one cure®. In 12 years, that philosophy has become a mantra for millions and has made an impact Lee Jeans never dreamed possible.
It all started when several Lee Jeans employees realized that each of them, in one form or another, had been touched by breast cancer. An everyday conversation sparked an idea and led to the creation of Lee National Denim Day, which has become one of the largest single-day fundraisers nationwide for breast cancer.
In its first year, Lee Jeans set a goal of raising $1 million on Lee National Denim Day. To do this, Lee Jeans invited companies to go casual for a cause, inviting employees to wear their jeans to work on Denim Day in exchange for a $5 contribution to the fight against breast cancer. The underlying concept behind the program was simple—by convincing enough people to take one small step, together they could reach an incredible goal.
The response to the inaugural Lee National Denim Day program was astounding. That year, more than 3,000 companies signed up to participate, raising $1.4 million dollars for the fight against breast cancer, setting the stage for what would become one of the most captivating social action campaigns in the country.
Since its first year, Lee National Denim Day has raised more than $70 million for the fight against breast cancer and unites nearly one million supporters nationwide each year.


Excellent.
This year, Lee Denim Day was on Friday, October 3rd but since everyone here can wear jeans on Friday anyway, they made things a little bit 'special' by allowing us to wear them on a day we normally wouldn't be wearing them. Smart thinking!! Although, I'd like to think that people would have still donated even if it was held it on a Friday.

Since my mom lost her battle with breast cancer almost 23 years ago (Wow...that was a LONG time ago) I've always been a big supporter in the fight against cancer...so I'll be donating.
:-)

Other than that, nothing too exciting is going on in my life (Les Mis anyone?).
We had a very 'rough around the edges' stumble through Act 1 last night. It was our first time running Act 1 off book, and shockingly enough, it wasn't a complete train wreck. Granted, we only ran the book scenes, so we didn't have any of the musical numbers to contend with...but for the first time without scripts in our hands, it wasn't half bad. It will only get better...as long as people do their 'homework' (myself included) and learn their stuff. That means you...blog reading cast members!!!

That's all for now...if anything exciting happens, I'll let you know later on.

OK - as I was finishing up this entry, my friend Joanne sent me this joke. Since it's one of my favorites, I'm sharing it with you......

One day a teacher had a taste test with her students.
She picked a little boy to do the first test.
She blindfolded him, put a Hershey kiss in his mouth and asked "Do you know what it is?"
" No, I don't," said the little boy.
"Okay, I'll give you a clue. It's the thing your daddy wants from your Mom before he goes to work."
Suddenly, a little girl at the back of the room yelled,
"Spit it out! It's a piece of ass!"

1 comment:

Brettcajun said...

Wow. I never heard about this special day. I always annoy my boss (Dad) by wearing jeans on Fridays. I tell him that our company tradition calls for all Fridays to be "Casual Friday!" LOL.