Friday, January 16, 2009

Sing....sing a song.



It’s Friday!!
Not only is it Friday, but for me (and many others) it’s the Friday before a long weekend, which is makes it all so much better (yes, that’s another ‘Legally Blonde: The Musical’ reference, thank you very much.).
Unfortunately, Jim doesn’t have Monday off - but he’ll be working from home, so that’ll be fun. Whenever he works from home, it’s my job to keep Scooter entertained and out of his way. When I’m not there and he’s working from home, Scooter sits at his feet crying for attention. That usually results in Jim spending the day with Scooter on his lap, while trying to get work done at the dining room table. Very cute, but not the most comfortable or efficient way to spend your work day.

Speaking of YouTube….I am SO glad that it wasn’t around when I was a kid. There is no doubt in my mind that if it existed when I was younger, I would have made countless videos of myself. I can see it now....little John, performing every 11 o’clock number out there....from ’Fifty Percent’ to ‘Being Alive’. And I wouldn’t have stopped there…I’m sure there would have been several production numbers included in the mix. It would have been magical...and really embarrassing.

I can’t even bring myself to watch some of the clips on YouTube of these anonymous kids; sitting in their bedrooms and singing their hearts out for the entire planet to see. Most of them are horrific, and I end up feeling SO embarrassed for them that I have to shut it off before they finish. If you want a little taste of what I’m talking about, go to YouTube and do a search for ‘Defying Gravity’. Not only will you see the song performed by every Elphaba that’s played the role from Broadway to Japan, but you’ll be treated to a million teen age girls (and some boys) who think that they do the song justice; and feel the need to share their ‘talents’ with the rest of the world. It’s disturbing.

A few years ago, I came across a tape I’d made (cassette tape, not video – sorry!) of myself singing along with ‘Jellicle Cats’ from the musical ‘Cats’. Excellent.
What’s odd, is that I have no recollection of making the recording. I’ve never been a huge fan of ‘Cats’, but clearly I was so moved by that song that I decided that my rendition of it needed to be preserved. Thankfully, I had a record player in my room, so the rest of my family was spared the sight of me dancing around while I recorded this masterpiece. Of course, I couldn’t have danced TOO enthusiastically, or the record would have skipped.
Keep in mind, the ‘Cats’ album was released in October of 1982, so I was almost 11 at the time the tape was made. Yikes.

Although I don’t remember my ‘Cats’ recording session, I do have vivid memories of dancing around my living room and singing along with the Original Cast Albums of ‘Annie’ and ‘A Chorus Line’, as well as the 8-track of ‘The Sound of Music’ (movie). That one was extra special, because it required a trip to the attic in order to fetch my sister’s guitar case so that I could re-create ‘I Have Confidence’ at it was intended to be performed. Although that 8-track (and my 8-track player) is long gone, I still have my Broadway albums!!! Maybe someday I’ll get another record player and bring them all out of storage…..

I have the benefit show tomorrow night, and then I’m seeing a play on Sunday afternoon. Very fun. I’ll try and write at some point to fill you all in on how the show went.

Have a great long weekend…and if you don’t have Monday off…have a great ‘regular’ weekend!!!

xoxo










1 comment:

RG said...

There's no business, like show business....