Monday, June 8, 2009

2 Men, 90 Beers



Apparently, hanging out with a bunch of 20 year olds doesn't make you 20 years old again.

That being said - Jim and I had a GREAT weekend, but I'm not going to lie....I am feeling O-L-D today.

We got up to NH on Friday night - started drinking somewhere around 7pm or so and didn't stop until about 4am. At that point, I got myself into bed, collapsed, and woke up around 9:30. After eating breakfast, I headed to the softball fields and proceeded to play two games of softball.

My team won both games, but it was very eye-opening for me, when in the 'Old Guys' vs. 'Young Guys' game, I was 6th in the batting order (we went in order from oldest to youngest).
Yikes.

Once the games were over (we slaughtered the young guys) we had a big barbecue. After eating some people went to the pool (Jim), some people played poker, and some people napped (Me).

After a quick nap, I got up, showered and we all headed to the banquet. After dinner, we gathered together to 'Sing Through The Years' - which is when we go year by year (or more realistically, a chunk of years at a time) and each group gets up and sings a few songs from the years they were in the group.

It was really fun. Not only was it fun, but it was VERY interesting to hear the current group, especially since I haven't heard them in a few years. There are LOTS of talented guys in the current group, which is definitely a nice thing to see.

After that, there was more drinking and socializing until the wee hours (again....somewhere around 4:30 am....terrible).

By some miracle, I woke up feeling OK (but looking like hell) on Sunday morning so we got up, had breakfast and hit the road.

Once we were home, we headed to a birthday party for our niece, followed by dinner and the TONY AWARDS!!!!
My favorite night of TV....I was very excited.

Overall, I think it was a very good show. MUCH better than it has been the past few years.

I won't go into the details, but I will say that from a technical point of view, it was atrocious. There were a ton of sound issues and a whole lot of random (and horrible) camera shots.

I will say that there were a few excellent performances ('Next to Normal', 'Hair') some awful performances ('Guy and Dolls', 'Shrek: The Musical', Mama Mia!) and an AMAZING host (Neil Patrick Harris).

Don't get me wrong, I love the Tonys and even the worst broadcasts are always very exciting for me. Since I don't get to NYC nearly as much as I'd like to, the Tonys are my one chance to see a lot of these numbers performed and it's always very exciting.

I don't agree with all the winners, but hey - you can't please everyone, right?

I am looking forward to my next NYC trip though (in late September) and have a better idea of what I'll be trying to see.

Well, I'm exhausted and need to try and figure out how I'm going to stay awake for the next few hours before my softball game.
That's right!!! Tonight is the big All-Star game....Ahhhhh!!!
I'm praying that I'm only going to be used at an extra hitter...I'm in no mood to spend an hour squatting behind home plate. :-)

Have a great day - and I promise, the non-exhausted, more excited John will be back soon.

ZZZZZZZZ...





Alice Ripley, Marcia Gay Harden, Kiril Kulish, Trent Kowalik, David Alvarez and Geoffrey Rush

(Photo by Aubrey Reuben)



David Alvarez, Kiril Kulish and Trent Kowalik

(Photo by Aubrey Reuben)

2 comments:

Bigg said...

Sounds like you had a good time. I know what you mean about keeping up with the younger crowd...

RG said...

Oh honey - I can party like I used to, I just can recover like I used to anymore! LOL