Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Adoption Update #324

It’s been a while since I’ve written anything adoption related, so I figured I’d give y’all a quick update.

Unfortunately, there’s not much to say.

When we were away this weekend, we were constantly telling our ‘story’ to all the guys who were interested. Thanks to Facebook and other means of ‘electronic communication’, most of the guys I’m closest to are at least aware of the fact that Jim and I are in the process of adopting. None of them knew the specifics of the process or what it all really means, so as a result, they were all asking a ton of questions. Unfortunately, due to the ‘nature’ of the weekend (people bouncing around from group to group), we’d be in the middle of a conversation with one person, someone new would join that conversation, and they’d start asking questions which would already have been answered. We got to the point where we kind of felt like we were talking non-stop, yet saying the same thing over and over again. At one point, Jim and I were both talking to different groups of people, but I could hear that we were saying pretty much the exact same thing at the same time. It was very funny.
What we should have done was gather everyone together, and sit them down as a group for a question and answer period.  :-)

Don’t get me wrong, we're SO grateful for the fact that we have so many people who care about what we’re doing and they’re all incredibly supportive, but like anything, telling the same story over and over again gets exhausting….especially since it’s a constant reminder of the fact that we’re STILL waiting.

(I suppose I should get used to it though….my high school reunion is next month, so I’m sure I’ll be experiencing more of the same ‘catch-up’ talk!!!!)

So…….we’re still waiting….and waiting, with nothing new to report.

We found out at the end of April that our case worker was taking a leave of absence (we assume it was for personal reasons, as it was quite sudden) and because of that, someone else would be taking over our case. While we were initially disappointed with that news, we were quite relieved when we found out that her boss was taking over our case. Her boss knows us quite well (she was the co-teacher for our ‘training’ classes) so we were glad we didn’t have to start all over again with someone who didn’t know us at all.
Once she took over, she told us that she wanted to make some changes to the homestudy write-up and then it would be sent off for ‘final’ approval. Well, that was news to us – we thought it was already on its way to being approved. Oh well. We talked to her about the changes she wanted to make (it was nothing too drastic), we approved the changes, and the last we heard (about a week and a half ago) it was on the desk of the person who gives it the FINAL stamp of approval. We’re expecting to receive notification any day now that it’s been approved once and for all.
When that’s done, we just sit back and wait…..what else is new??

Jim was chatting with one of our neighbors on Monday afternoon who went through the same process we’re going through and she was telling him that this is BY FAR the worst part. Their family was matched with a child (newborn) just over two years ago and they just got word that the final adoption hearing/trial is set for August. Even though that was a tough time (waiting for the adoption to be finalized) she said that waiting to be ‘matched’ was a lot more difficult to get through.

Yes, it’s BEYOND irritating, but we know it’s going to happen eventually.

Until then, we remain grateful for all the encouragement and support we’re getting from our friends and family…..but unfortunately, that doesn’t make the waiting any easier.


SteveA said...

I Hope it all works out. It's a good thing to adopt!

Nik_TheGreek said...

It must be really frustrating waiting like this. I really hope it works out soon enough. All the best...

Cubby said...

Hang in there!

Ur-spo said...

the waiting is hard; I agree with Mr. Cubby - be patient.