Monday, January 3, 2011

Falling for the New Year....

Hello My Friends!!!

I hope you all had a safe and fun New Year’s Eve!

Jim and I had a great time with friends, going out to dinner in Providence, followed by seeing the national tour of Mamma Mia! at the Providence Performing Arts Center.
As I mentioned previously, our friend Mary is in the show, (playing one of the three leads) and as expected, she did a GREAT job. She was meant to play that role, and she certainly didn’t disappoint.

The rest of the show was fun and entertaining, but it really isn’t the best piece of theatre you’ll ever see. Of course, I don’t think it ever claimed to be. It promises to be a fun night out, and it definitely lives up to that. It’s very fun, especially if you like ABBA music; so if you see it’s coming your way, I would recommend seeing it. Fun, fun, fun!

This is a picture of Mary and I on the set….it’s kind of a dimly lit shot, but you get the idea.

After the show, Jim and I visited with Mary for a bit, and then headed home. Thankfully, we made it home in time to ring in the New Year on the couch with Scooter, Ryan Seacrest, and Dick Clark (no comment). After that, we stayed up for just a little while longer, watching Kathy Griffin and Anderson Cooper. They were so funny together….I loved watching them.

On New Year’s Day, Jim and I relaxed and watched a bunch of episodes of Dexter – our latest obsession. We’re in the middle of Season 3 right now, and I’m already sad that we only have 1 ½ more seasons to watch…..I may have to look into getting Showtime for a little when the new season starts up.
At one point on New Year’s Day, I decided to head out front and change the light bulb in the light on the front of our house. The other night I noticed it was out, but it was snowy and cold, so I didn’t feel like doing it.

Since it was still light out, I figure I'd head out front and change the bulb without incident.
Boy, was I wrong!!!

I grabbed the step ladder, a screwdriver, a new lightbulb, and then headed to the front door. I climbed up on the step ladder, (it’s a small one that we keep in the kitchen for those ‘hard to reach’ items) unscrewed the top of the light fixture and started to remove the bulb. The next thing I know, I’m flying ass over tea kettle (thanks Dad) and slammed onto the cement step in front of our door.

Apparently, I didn’t quite have the step ladder placed entirely on the step, and it slid out from under me, sending me flying backwards. Thankfully, I didn’t hit my head, but landed on my left side/back. Jim heard the commotion and came to the front window asking me if I was ok – and then came outside to double check. I was ok, but a little shaken, and a lot sore and wet.

The thing that pissed me off the most is that when I was in the process of falling, I managed to knock the front light fixture off it’s base, so now it’s barely attached to the house and it looks TERRIBLE!

My left leg is pretty sore and still swollen, but isn’t bruised quite yet….I’m sure it will be though. My left shoulder is a little sore as well, but I’m glad that I didn’t do any ‘real’ damage and avoided whacking my head on the cement. THAT would have sucked.
Anyway – I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and headed back into the house, where I pretty much remained on the couch for the rest of the night.

On Sunday, I was quite sore (as expected) but we got up, showered, returned a couple of wayward Christmas gifts (one duplicate, and one ill-fitting pair of slippers), did the grocery shopping and began ‘de-Christmasing’ the house. We got all the outside lights taken down, and will be tackling the inside of the house for the remainder of the week. I’m still sore, so sitting still at my desk is a bit of a challenge, but I’m pretty sure I’ll survive. Pretty sure. ;-)

I hope you all have a great week, and aren't too traumatized by having to return to work!!!



Ron said...

I love ABBA and "Mama Mia"!

Hey, be very, very careful about falling. A month ago I tripped going into the American Legion Post 28 (of all places) to secure my reservation on their van to go to the VA Medical Center. I braced my fall with my right arm and really screwed myself up for a good two weeks! I only had a small fracture (upper right arm) but my wrist and forearm were so strained I couldn't do ANYTHING. And my "anything" I mean eating, typing, writing, showering and even going to the bathroom. I couldn't put any pressure on my wrist or arm for at least two weeks. Thank God I didn't break anything. I am so careful now when I'm walking on ice or snow and on a ladder (as I was with Christmas lights last week.) Oh, I didn't mention the pain for two weeks. Almost unbearable. Please be careful.

Ur-spo said...

no more falling; it is bad on the complexion.

wozzel said...

sounds like you've had an awesome time.

I AM traumatized by being back at work. Just got back after two weeks away doing nothing.

i would love to go back to doing just that ;)

Anonymous said...

Gosh, is that bad that I kind of chuckled when I read about your fall? -- nancy v.

AJohnP said...

Not at all Nancy...minutes after falling, I was in hysterics, laughing.
I LOVE a good fall...and I know you (and Joanne) do too. :-)