Wednesday, December 22, 2010

25 Years ago...

I find it hard to believe that my Mom passed away TWENTY-FIVE years ago, today.
I know I say this every year at this time, but it really feels like it was yesterday.....not to mention the fact that it makes me feel O-L-D!!!

For those who are new (or new-ish) to my blog, my Mom lost her battle with breast cancer when I was 13. She fought long and hard for my entire life, and let's face it....the fact that she was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1972 and lived until 1985 says a lot.

I often think about what my life would have been like if she was still around, and what paths I would have taken if she hadn't died when I was so young.
But - like so many things in life, it all happens for a reason, and I'm very happy with the way my life has turned out and I wouldn't want to change a single apparently it was meant to be. :-)

Each year at this time, it's become a tradition of sorts for me to post the last letter I received from her. She wrote it from the hospital the last time she was admitted, and sent it to me while I was away at summer camp. Even though it makes me a little sad to read it, I'm happy that I have that little bit of her to hold on to....

Tuesday Aug. 20, 1985

Dear John,

How are you doing? Hope you are having a great time.
Well John, I did it again. Dad and I left for Cape Cod Saturday. I was feeling pretty good. It took us about 1 hr. and 1/2 to get there. We drove around for a while to see where everything was, stopped in to see the L*****s. They have a bigger trailer than the M***s. It was very nice. We got our place, unpacked, sat around for a while, and then went out for dinner. It was excellent. I had fish, and Dad had white clam sauce on pasta. Home we went, watched some TV, and went to bed.

We woke up Sunday morning and decided to go to 11:30 mass. I wasn't feeling too good. I was having trouble breathing. We left mass early and found a nice place to have breakfast. We sat around the rest of the day and relaxed & met some of our neighbors. When we woke up on Monday it was pouring. Dad went for a ride and said some of the roads you couldn't use they were so flooded. I really wasn't feeling that good - still having trouble breathing and felt lousy. We decided to go for a ride. We went to the post office and just rode around. We went back home, it was still raining. We sat around for a while, I still wasn't feeling any better, in fact I felt worse. We decided to call the doctor. He thought I should go to the local hospital and be checked. My doctor would call the hospital and tell them what to do. Now is where the fun begins.

We decided there was too much traffic, so we called the ambulance. Of course the fire engines showed up too. Everyone was looking and watching, wondering what was wrong with me. They told me it would be a noisy ride. Was it ever. They has the sirens going all the way. As it turned out, it was the same thing as before - they had to take out the fluid from the chest cavity. I am feeling much better. The only thing is, Dr. L. decided he wanted me at the Brigham and Women's Hospital, so back into the ambulance I go, this time to Boston. This time the ride wasn't quite as noisy. I got here at 8:00. I had no supper. I was starving.
I got my supper at 10:30 last night, boy did it taste good.

So here I am John, at the hospital. I haven't seen the doctor yet, he had a big surgery this morning so I don't know when I'll be home. Donna and Bill will be picking you and Scott up. I'm hoping I will be home when you get there. Have a great time John and please don't worry about me, I am doing just fine. Looking forward to seeing you and hearing all about your adventures.

Love ya, Mom


Blobby said...

That's a great post and great that you have that letter. Any letter. No one saved those and hell, they don't exist anymore. No one writes.

From all accounts, you turned out good - and I'm sure w/your mother's help. Don't dwell too much on the 'what if'. You'd be different, for sure - not better, not worse.

Dwell on the good times you guys had - that's always what gets us through.

Nik_TheGreek said...

Having that letter must be an amazing treasure. You are quite lucky to have it.
Thank you for a really amazing post. It makes you try to evaluate what's important in life...

Chris G of the Florida G's said...

You're a doll.

Uncle Richard said...


Thinking of you today! My favorite part of the letter, and you know I LOVE you~ "I wasn't feeling too good. I was having trouble breathing. We left mass early and found a nice place to have breakfast."

Don't worry about Paula~ She just morphed into Michael Weingart!!!

Uncle Richard